So, like I said earlier, we had to return to Bangkok to take care of a couple things. We arrived on Monday, midday. We were upset because our cute hotel that we had stayed at previously was all booked up. When we were fishing in southern Thailand, earlier in our trip, we had met a british man and his son; the father being a resident of Thailand. He gave us a recommendation for a hotel in Bangkok, just in case we didn't like the first one. So Keith, having such a great memory, rememered the name and they (thank goodness) had availability.
City Chic Hotel was located in a newer part of Bangkok, and for the same price as the other one, stayed in a pretty swanky, modern hotel. It was like the Ritz Carlton, compared to where we had receintly been!! We were happy with our location too, as the US Embassy was within walking distance.
The next day, we headed for the embassy, and remarkably, got 10 new sheets in my passport for free, and it only took 30 minutes! Afterwards, Keith had wished he had done the same thing. Then, we took a taxi out to a shopping mall, called River City Mall, that sells only antiques. We were in the market for an old map of Siam, and got a great one that we both agreed on ws the nicest out of what they had. For the rest of the afternoon, we just lounged around the hotel and relaxed.
So, prostitution is legal in Thailand, and sex trafficking is a major problem here. There are lots of western older men (mainly for some reason frm Germany) who travel over to Thailand to hook up with young Thai girls. I'm talking like 70 year old men walking around, holding hands, smooching with 20 year olds!! It's pretty obvious what the story is, and it's gross, too, if you ask me. We didnt see too much of it last time we were in Bangkok...only in the airports and a little around town. This time was another story. I turns out we were staying in a hotel that promotes prostitution!!! I was making a phone call at the front desk, when an older french man was booking a room with a young Thai girl next to him, UNTIL 10 pm!! I could barely finish my phone call! Then, later on the internet (near the front reception desk) I heard a man "order" a girl, asking for this ad that and the other!! When Keith and I checked out of the hotel at 5 am yesterday, 5 transvestites came stumbling in!! I was like, "where are we??"
Anyways, after travelling for a long time yesterday (we left Bangkok at 7:45 am and arrived in Bali at 4:15 pm via Singapore), we have arrived in paradise!! We are thrilled to be able to relax for two whole weeks here! Currently, we're in a resort in Sanur Beach, and are booked to stay here at least 2 more nights. It's big and there are lots of people, but it's nice to be able to chill on the beach or at one of their many pools! Bring on the Mai Tais!!! We'll probably go over to the Gili Islands and over to an island next door called Lombok some time during our stay here.
Love to all! I'm off to the beach!
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment